Sunday, January 14, 2018

Prague- Finally Home

Very recently, I had the privilege of going back to my ideal city, my little Utopia— Prague. The first time I was there I never truly quite understood what it was about that city that made me feel the way it did, all I knew was that my feelings of peace, sense of security, and desire to settle were far too real for me to ignore for a long time after I had left. And so it was that when I heard of the opportunity to go back there, to stay in the same place I had the first time, to bring back to life the memories that had for a while been put away on a shelf gathering dust in the confinements of my mind, I jumped at the possibility.
As soon as I stepped off the plane and onto Czech territory, I realized without a doubt that one day, this is where I want to lay myself to sleep every night. It was as time had stood still and the past year had been erased from my existence. The time between my last there and now had been nothing but a pause in time. It was as though I had never left. 
Once again I walked on those cobblestone streets while gazing upon the colorful, ancient architecture of each building. Once again I sat down to enjoy my favorite choice of coffee in the charming coffeeshops spread throughout the city. 
I took my time to breathe in the familiar yet strange feeling of belonging. 
What it was that captivated me so about this city, I did not really know. It wasn’t until the end of my time there that came around the corner like a thief ready to steal everything that’s ever made me truly happy, I finally recognized that my love for this place was not found in the buildings, or the sights, neither in the coffeeshops or the parks, rather it was in the feeling that no matter who I was, what I did, what I chose to be, I would never, ever feel like a stranger. In the span throughout my years I have never had a real sense of belonging anywhere, for one reason or another I never felt I had a “home” per se, that is until I finally found it tucked between four other European countries. 

I left Prague for the second time on January 6th at 6:55pm. This time, I am not sad nor feel nostalgic about it, for I know it will always be there for me whenever I am finally ready to grow roots of my very own. Until then, I always have the consolation that in my heart and mind, I know I finally have found a place to call HOME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment