Sunday, December 18, 2016

Things you will find in Prague

“You take delight not in a city's seven or seventy wonders, but in the answer it gives to a question of yours.” -- Italo Calvino

Prague is by far my favorite city in the world. Sure, every time I heard about Prague I heard nothing but great things. It is a small city, it has great public transportation, it is cheap and the best places to eat vegetarian/vegan food as well as for meat eaters. You can rent a nice apartment for $250 USD/month and get this, go to the movies, buy popcorn and soda all for about $8. But that is not all, I mean the people here are friendly, they don't mind accommodating Americans with their lack of spoken languages so most people here speak english and don't seem bothered by having to do so. It is a fairy tale city with its castle sitting on top of a hill overlooking Charles Bridge and its cobblestone streets. Not to mention that one feels safe walking through dim-lit parks at night and leaving your Mac on the table while you go to the restroom-- though this is something that always gives me anxiety while I am in the toilet. And definitely no pickpockets on public transportation. It is, needless to say, perfect.
Or is it?
Well just as with everything in life, it has its pros just as much as its cons. One thing you will be sure to find on the streets is none other than dog poop. Yes. Dog Poop everywhere. Freshly made and the way you'll know that is because someone hasn't been unfortunate enough to step on it. Other than that, you'll always see how the unfortunate ones dragged it along for a few meters on the cobblestone trying to get rid of the curse, and the stink.
If you're a runner you'll have to travel a bit to get to a nice park where you will be sure you won't be stepping on dog poop while you're on that runner's high.
My first day here, while I did not step on any, I was rolling my suitcase on the street when it happened to roll over some old dog poop. What a great beginning to my adventure here, I thought.
But, guys and girls, so far that is it. That is all I have found unfavorable in this magical city. Of course, it is just a small nuisance that in the end it is far worth the outcome if you get to spend a few days here. Just keep your eyes on the road as I have.

My favorite place to eat thus far, Café Sladkvoskÿ
I have been eating everything on the menu that is listed as Vegan/vegetarian and not once have I been disappointed. The decoration, the service and the prices are all too good to just come once. And the best part is that I am living just across the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment